Thursday, July 9, 2009

STAR TREK


Now, these first couple of posts are going to be a little late. I haven't really had much time to get started on all these reviews so bare with me. The first review of this summer season starts off with the much anticipated, latest installment of the "Star Trek" franchise.

I should start off by saying that, until seeing this movie, I had never seen another "Star Trek"... anything. Not a movie, not a television episode, not anything, never really having any inclination to do so. What can I say? I'm a "Star Wars" guy. So if you are a Treky yourself, please excuse my ignorance on the matter, and don't hate me. 

Having said that, this movie was nothing short of totally AWESOME. The action was great, the acting was good enough and I was not lost on the story, much to my surprise. The people behind this movie really took great care in introducing the characters, who have been pop culture icons for decades, to a whole new audience. I thought I was going to get left behind in all the sci-fi jargon, but this "Star Trek", at least to me, was the first to really be marketed to a much broader fan base. I can't be sure, but I doubt the die hard fans are upset with the finished product, and guys like me, who have no experience in such matters, are going to love it.

It kicks ass! That's basically all there is to it. Fast paced, witty, good and evil. What more could you want?

What really impressed me the most were the performances by Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, who played Captain James Kirk and Spok respectively. They seemed to create there own versions of such recognizable characters while still holding true to the original performances themselves. I mean from what I know of those characters, which is admittedly not much, these guys really nailed it. Pine as Kirk was a perfect choice. This will be his breakout performance and he deserves the recognition he gets. His cockiness and wit made him a Captain Kirk that need not be compared to Shatner's 

If you go see one summer movie, (be warned that Harry Potter has yet to be released) see Star Trek. If nothing else, director J.J. Abrams knows how to entertain.

Muller's Grade: B+

If you liked this flick, check out: Iron Man, Transformers, Mission Impossible III

No comments:

Post a Comment